Our current favourite juicing recipe is:
- 1 or 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 or 1 red pepper (any pepper works)
- 2 large carrots
- 1/4 or 1/2 cucumber
- a handful of spinach
- a handful of kale
- a handful of watercress or rocket
- a handful of lettuce (I like Romaine, Swiss Chard, Red Leaf or Green Oak Leaf.)
- a 1 inch cube of ginger
- 1/2 apple
Helpful hints for women with PCOS:
- Avoid sugar and starchy carbohydrates, because they will cause your blood sugar levels to spike, which will in turn raise your hormone levels.
- Use Stevia to sweeten things. It has a zero ranking on the glycemic index.
- Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar levels. It can lower blood sugar spikes by helping muscle absorb glucose.
- Avoid caffeine completely if possible. It stimulates hair growth, which only exacerbates hirsutism.
- Avoid processed foods as much as possible. Eat raw foods as often as possible. Although it is not fun (I miss quick, cheap dinners and snacks), your PCOS will lessen. That will make you a healthier and happier person. Plus, your body will just be healthier.
- If you get a , you can make cool things like natural ice cream, butters and salsas. You can customize these recipe to fit with a diet that is friendly toward PCOS sufferers. Just some strawberries and a dab of Stevia makes a delicious ice cream that is low in calories, beneficial to your health and it does not exacerbatePCOS.
- Losing excess weight (especially in the paunch of your belly) will help your body regulate its blood sugar levels more effectively. This will in turn regulate your hormones more efficiently. Exercise regularly and include plenty of cardio.
- Drink plenty of water. It keeps you from drinking bad things and it helps your body digest foods and perform its necessary functions.
The greatest lessons that I have learned are: if you have a sickness or bodily issue that is not immediately life-threatening:
- first and foremost, ensure that your body is receiving all of the vitamins and nutrients that it needs.
- Secondly, remove any foods from your diet that may be causing the issue.
- If a proper diet does not fix your issue, then consider medicine and/or a visit to the doctor.